R: What do the letters UIF* stand for on our pay slips.
A: Doesn’t it stand for Unidentified Flying Object?
*Unemployment Insurance Fund
I found this meme on Wenchy’s blog and thought it is a great recap for the year…
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I left Paul and Aaron for 10 days while I traveled to Israel. I have never spent more than 1 night without Aaron and it is usually Paul that travels overseas while I stay at home. It was a great trip but I missed them something fierce, I don’t think I would like to travel without them again.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I try not to make resolutions as I tend to break them and then feel very disappointed with myself. As for 2010? I would like to be more adventurous, try more new things and push my boundaries a bit.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My best friend gave birth to the sweetest little boy!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thank Gd no!
5. What countries did you visit?
Israel, I had been before but the last time was 10 years ago, what a difference 10 years makes, I am more in love with Israel than ever before!
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A sister or brother for Aaron and for Paul’s business to do well enough that I can work a half day job.
7. What date(s) from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The first time Aaron said ‘love you mama’ while making the sign Paul and I use to say we love each other.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Representing SA and Jozi at the 2009 Wizo Aviv Seminar in Israel, also speaking about the experience to a room full of women when I came back.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not falling pregnant,
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A few rounds of gastro and one flu episode. I also had a laparoscopy a few days ago.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I didnt really buy anything big. I enjoyed spending money on things for Aaron, he gets such a kick out of ‘pwesssents‘ .
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
I think my own, Im learning to stop and think before I let my temper get the better of me and say something I may regret.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Again, my own, I still have a lot of work to do on that temper management.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Necessities. Nappies for Aaron, need to potty train him in the new year! Medical aid and expenses, need to have a healthier year next year.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My best friends pregnancy and the birth of her baby.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling, it makes me smile and laugh and just generally happy!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier
Thinner or fatter? The same I think
Richer or poorer? Poorer in money, richer in love and friendships
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had spent more time playing with Aaron and just having silly fun with him.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastination! I wish I had just got off my butt and done what needed to be done instead of waisting time.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
To borrow a phrase coined by my friend Jared, we celebrated Jewmas by having a braai at my mom.
21. How will you be spending New Year?
At home having a braai with my brother in law and his girlfriend, my friend Ro and her husband and hopefully our friend Shirley will join us.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Yes, with my husband and my son, I cant stop falling in love with them, they are my world!
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Oh my, so many… CSI, Lie to Me, True Blood, V, Stargate Universe, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, Supernatural… the list just goes on and on…
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is such a strong word. No, I dont hate anyone, I have an intense dislike for a few people but nothing new from last year.
26. What was the best book you read?
I read too many books to choose a best one.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
No great discovery, although I re-discovered some classics.
28. What did you want and get?
A jungle gym for Aaron, thanks to a lot of family and friends who all chipped in for his birthday!
29. What did you want and not get?
To be pregnant.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Wow, so many good ones. I would have to say Avatar, everything about it appeals to me.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
The big 30! I had a lamb spit with about 40 of my nearest and dearest. it was hectic and fun and wont be repeated until I hit 40!
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having to worry about money.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
A little more adventurous than before, I used more colour than ever before instead of the basics.
34. What kept you sane?
My happy meds. Seriously, without the Cipralex I think I would have been a mess.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Im not a very political person and tend to avoid politics as much as possible but Julius *opens his mouth and crap spews forth* Malema really got my goat!
37. Who did you miss?
My brother Matt, especially after seeing him in Israel and then coming home without him
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh my, so many. All the twitter and blog girls. I am so privileged to know you all and hope to meet many more of you in 2010!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
It doesn’t matter how much and how hard you want something, sometimes its just not going to happen. You need to find the solution and then have the patience to wait for it.
40. Quote that sums up your year.
“Go ahead, make my day” Harry Callahan, Sudden Impact (1983)
On Monday I go into Sunninghill Clinic for a small procedure.
I am having a laparoscopy in order to remove a few ovarian cysts as well as clear the definite blockage in my right fallopian tube, at the same time Dr H will check out the other tube and also see if there is any endometriosis that needs to be dealt with.
Its a day procedure and I should be back home by early afternoon.
Im a little nervous, I hate anesthetic, but I am sure it will all go smoothly.
A little background…
I work for an organisation that has been running for many many years. Quite a few of the ladies I work with have been with the organisation since the year dot, or near enough anyway. One of the ladies has worked for the organisation since she was 18, she’s worked there for almost 45 years, you do the math…
Not a day goes by when one or other of them doesn’t utter something that makes me laugh out loud or cringe in embarrassment or sometimes even want to smack one of them (affectionately of course).
So I thought I would create a new category, “Overheard in my office…” and document some of the funny and not so funny stuff that is said in my office.
A classic to start us off…
A: Why is milk so expensive?
B: I dont know.
A: Because you know, cows eat grass and grass is free…
Paul, Aaron and I met up with some of the local Blog girls and their families this morning for breakfast/brunch.
We met at River Cafe, a great venue for kids but mediocre food and crap service…
Here are a few pics…
Aaron took these two, my little photog…
Aaron and I spent the morning Norwood Mall, we went shopping and then spent just over an hour playing at the play place.
We came home and after running wild Aaron had a nap and then we met my mom for lunch at Grand Central in Melrose Arch.
We then proceeded to Angel’s birthday party where Aaron and I spent a good hour or so in the pool with the tons of kids while Paul took photos and mingled. There were a whole lot people there, quite a few from twitter and the blog world. I wish I had more time to sit and chat to everyone but Aaron was determined to spend every minute in the pool and when we got out of the pool threw the MOTHER OF ALL TANTRUMS!!!! So we went home earlier than we would have liked…
I think we will be forever known as the parents of that boy who threw the MOTHER OF ALL TANTRUMS!!!!
Here are some pics that Paul took…