The #BestBossEver sent me a link on Facebook to this recipe and I knew I had to try it for Shabbat tonight.
Although the actual preparation takes all of 5 minutes, you do need to prepare your dough a minimum of 8 hours before you want to bake it.
So I made my dough last night before I went to bed. It literally took 5 minutes. This afternoon I baked it, which took about 20 minutes to heat the oven and let the dough rest after shaping and a further 45 minutes to bake.
Here’s the recipe.
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water
- In a medium bowl mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Mixture will be shaggy looking.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap not too tightly (I then covered the bowl with a towel).
- Leave at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours but up to 24 hours.
- The dough will have doubled in size and look bubbly.
- Turn oven to 180C and place a high sided dish into the oven to get warm.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and shape into a round.
- Set aside until the oven is ready.
- Once ready, cut an 'x' into the bread and gently transfer to the hot dish.
- Do NOT burn yourself!
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes covered.
- Uncover the dish and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing.