Winter, the season for soup.
So far I’ve made a pot of chicken soup and a pot of zucchini soup (requested by the boy child).
I wasnt sure about the zucchini soup. I like it roasted or as zucchini noodles but soup…?
So I searched the interwebs and found a few recipes but none really appealed to me. What did appeal to me were the recipes that had garlic in them.
So armed with a list of various recipes, a bag of zucchini, a garlic bulb and my spice rack I created my own recipe.
Zucchini Garlic Soup
A mild and creamy zucchini soup.
Write a review
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 15 min
- Oil for frying
- 4 large zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped (more or less per your taste)
- 1 red onion, diced (most recipes called for white onion, I only had red and it was perfect)
- 4 cups of water or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs, I used basil and rosemary
- Ginger powder
- Soak your peeled and sliced zucchini is a bowl of salted water.
- While that is soaking, in a large, heavy bottomed pot, lightly fry your onion and garlic until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Drain your zucchini and add to the pot.
- Heat until the zucchini starts to soften.
- Add your water or stock and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower to a simmer and add your salt, pepper, herbs and ginger to taste. If you are using water, add more, if you are using stock add less.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot with slices of olive bread.
- This soup has a very subtle flavour. Next time I will probably add a bit of sweet chili powder for a bit of a kick.
A Bit of This A Bit of That https://gnatj.com/