I usually keep store bought pastry in my freezer but I didn’t have any so went searching for a simple pie pastry recipe, this is what I found…
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon white sugar (I only have brown so thats what I used)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup lard (I only have milk free marge in my house…)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Mix together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Cut in the lard until the mixture looks like course meal.
- In a separate bowl whisk together water, egg yolk, vanilla and vinegar.
- Stir into flour and knead very briefly until just smooth.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Pastry is easier to work with when cold so I popped mine in the fridge for the 15 minutes.
- When rested, flour your work surface lightly and roll out to desired shape and size.