The festival of light. And fried things. Well, of the miracle of 1 days oil lasting 8.
So we fry things. Potato latkes are a good bet and one of the things I remember really loving as a child.
So I decided we would have latkes tonight. These turned out so well, a real taste of my childhood.
A delicious and crispy fried potato cake
Write a review
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, finely diced or grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large table spoons of flour or matza meal
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Grate the potato and squeeze out all the excess liquid you can.
- Add the diced onion and mix.
- Add the eggs, flour and salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Take small handfuls of the potato mixture and squeeze out any excess liquid (the dryer the mixture, the crispier the latke).
- Flatten the handful and place in the oil gently.
- Fill the pan and fry for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Gently turn each latke over and fry for a further 3 - 4 minutes.
- Place the latkes on paper towel to absorb extra oil and then place in a dish to keep warm in the oven.
- You can eat the latkes as is or you can sprinkle cinnamon sugar over them or eat them with sour cream or with apple sauce or with nutella. Its totally up to you.
A Bit of This A Bit of That https://gnatj.com/