On Thursday I was given a bag of tomatoes. They were almost too ripe.
I asked online for some suggestions of what to do with them and shakshuka jumped out at me.
I love shakshuka. Its one of my favourite Israeli dishes. And its an all in one pan cook and serve recipe so very little washing up!
- Oil for frying
- 1 x onion, diced
- 1 x red pepper, diced
- 8 x tomatos, diced
- Spices (usually cayenne pepper or something a little spicy)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 x eggs
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan. You can split the ingredients into two smaller pans if you want to serve the shakshuka in personal servings.
- Throw in the onion and saute until golden.
- Add the red pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and garlic and stir until its all mixed together. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to reduce.
- Add spices.
- Once the mixture is cooked through crack eggs directly into the sauce and cook through.
- Serve with fresh bread or pita to mop up the sauce.
A Bit of This A Bit of That https://gnatj.com/
Today we have another guest chef, Tanya (aka @Beagle_Momma) sent me a delicious and healthy recipe for roasted tomato soup.
- 900g baby tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 20ml (weigh less) olive oil
- 900ml chicken stock (I used oxtail – didn’t have anything else)
- 20g Fresh chopped basil (i didn’t have, so just used about a tablespoon of dry italian herbs)
- 5ml (weigh less) balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Cut tomatoes in half, place on baking tray cut side up.
- Also pop the 4 cloves of garlic on the tray
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper
- *Since I wasn’t using fresh basil, I sprinkled my dry herbs on too – fresh basil comes later tho*
- Roast at 195degrees for an hour.
- In the mean time, i prepared my 900ml of stock, and added balsamic vinegar to the stock.
- Once the tomatoes & garlic are roasted (divine smell!!) take them out, pop the stock mixture, the roasted tomatoes/garlic into a blender *now would be when you add the fresh basil if you using it*
- Blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of feta before serving! A slice of crusty bread would be perfect too!
Serves 4 and each portion counts as 2 Veg and 1 Fat.
The recipe says serve hot or cold!
Easy, healthy, tasty, quick! Winner!