I am debating putting up pictures with this post, mainly because chopped liver pictures are not the most appetising things, even though the actual dish is delicious… Lets see how we go 🙂
- 1 x 500g kosher frozen chicken livers, thaw in microwave (I say kosher only because they are as clean as you will get them)
- 1 x onion, diced
- 1 x egg, hard boiled (you can use 2 or 3 eggs depending on how many people you need to feed)
- 2 or 3 tablespoons Ina Parmens (or similar) chicken stock powder
- 1 tablespoon marge or schmaltz for frying
- Hard boil your egg(s).
- Melt margarine in a large heavy pan, add diced onion and fry for 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Toss in the chicken stock powder and mix.
- Add thawed chicken livers to the onions and fry until cooked through.
- Place onion and livers in a mixing bowl, crumble the hard boiled egg into the bowl.
- Using a hand held electric chopper thingy (I have no idea what they are actually called) chop the cooked ingredients.
How smooth you chop the liver is up to you. You can leave it quite chunky or make it into a smooth patè.
Serve on challah or french bread or even on toast the next morning for breakfast.