This is one of my favourite winter recipes that I love making – it’s so quick and easy!
Now before you pull your nose up at the baked beans let me assure you, I can’t stand baked beans myself – but this is to die for. I actually crave it all the time!
The recipe is from Eating for Sustained Energy by Liesbet Delport and Gabi Steenkamp.
Here we go:
Serves 8. Bakes for 1 ½ hours
8 chicken thighs, +/- 100g each, skinned
1 onion, finely chopped
1 x 410g tin baked beans in tomato sauce
1 green pepper, chopped
12,5 ml honey
2 ml mustard powder
5 ml mixed herbs
½ chicken stock cube, dissolved in
200 ml boiled water
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 rashers lean bacon
50 ml chopped parsley – to garnish
50 ml chopped spring onion – to garnish
- Arrange the chicken thighs in an oven dish. Mix the rest of the ingredients, except for the bacon, parsley and spring onion, and spoon the mixture over the chicken thighs.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius, turning the chicken a few times
- Remove the cover and bake for another 30 minutes
- Remove all the visible fat from the bacon and grill until crisp
- Mix the grilled bacon, parsley and spring onion over the chicken casserole
- Serve with basmati rice or durum wheat pasta, and vegetables
Nutrients per serving
Glycemic index 47 ~ Fat 7g ~ Carbohydrate 13g ~ Fibre 4g ~ Protein 21g ~ Kilojoules 848
One Reply to “Hearty Chicken Casserole”
Oh yummy! Guess what I am making for dinner tomorrow!?