I have never ever made a proper ‘from scratch’ sponge cake but I decided that for mothers day that is what I would be making.
I scoured the web and found this recipe from the Clover site.
I adapted it ever so slightly.
- 4 eggs
- 300ml (250g) castor sugar
- 500ml (280g) cake flour
- 15ml baking powder
- 250ml milk
- 100g margerine
- 5ml vanilla essence
Note: I measured everything out precisely using my kitchen scale, something I have never really done before. It must have worked because the cake was delicious!
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Beat eggs and caster sugar together (I used a hand held electric beater for about 3 minutes).
- Sift flour and baking powder and fold into egg mixture.
- On the stove, melt the marge in the milk on a medium heat, do not let the mixture boil.
- Add the vanilla essence to the flour and egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a pre-greased springform tin and bake for 30 minutes.
I covered my cake in a Pick n Pay Finest chocolate ganache. Let me stop here and just say O.M.G! You have to get your hands on this stuff, its divine!
2 Replies to “Vanilla Sponge Cake”
Looks good! It looks like a yellow cake (I haven’t found boxed versions here). Where in PnP would that delicious ganache be?
Not every Pick n Pay stocks them but I found mine in the fridge section by the milk and butter. All the packaging for the Finest range is black and looks very fancy 🙂