Faith had a small family party this year and I didnt want to buy a cake, I wanted to make one.
Unfortunately I couldn’t find the Funfetti one when I went to the shops but I did improvise 😉
- 1 x box cake mix
- ½ cup rainbow vermicelli (if you didnt get the Funfetti box mix)
- Extra ingredients as per the box mix
- Icing sugar, butter and food colouring (as needed)
- Fondant icing (I bought lilac and pink ready made Nicoletta fondant from Yuppiechef)
- Mix cake as directed.
- Add the vermicelli.
- Fill two 20cm cake tins with the batter and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, remove from baking tins and allow to cool down completely.
- Once cold place one of the cakes upside down on your board or cake stand.
- Mix your butter icing and coat a layer of icing on the flat side of the cake.
- Carefully place the second cake, flat side down on top of the icing covered base cake.
- Carefully spread the rest of the icing over the top and sides of the layered cake.
- (At this point I should have smoothed the butter icing a bit in preparation for the fondant but I forgot until it was too late).
- Roll out your fondant and carefully place over the top of your cake, make sure the butter icing is still a bit wet, so that it sticks nicely (thanks for the tip Angel).
- For a cake this size I would recommend two packs of Nicoletta fondant, I rolled my lilac one quite thin and it wasn’t quite enough to cover the whole cake, it could probably have been a bit thicker too.
- Once you have your fondant in place choose an alternative colour fondant and roll it out, cut shapes or mould pretty decorations. It was quite easy to use and not scary at all.
- Once you have your shapes or decorations use a little bit of warm water to stick them to the cake.
And there you have it 🙂