So since Paul was diagosed as diabetic I have been searching for interesting recipes that are diabetic friendly.
We, as a family LOVE pizza and unfortunately pizza bases are a no no for Paul.
I found this recipe on Pinterest over here and decided it sounded yummy. I adjusted the recipe to make 2 bases.
- 4 cups raw spinach leaves (I used young spinach from Woolies)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups grated low fat cheese (again I used from Woolies)
- Salt, pepper, seasoning to taste
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Blend spinach leaves until they look like baby food, this drastically reduces the volume of the spinach, I panicked but it was ok in the end.
- Add eggs and blend.
- Add in cheese and spices and blend until just combined.
- The original recipe says that you HAVE to use parchment paper on your baking sheet/pizza pan because it sticks. I didnt have any so I Spray & Cooked the shit out of my pans and it was absolutely fine, nothing stuck!
- Once you have lined/sprayed your pan, pour half the mixture into the middle of the pan.
- With the back of a spoon, slowly push down on the mixture so that it forms a thin, even circle on the pan,roughly the size of a medium pizza base.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 15/20 minutes or until the edges are brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and add your tomato base, cheese and any toppings you like.
- Return to the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and cut into slices.
Oh… Apparently you can make a cauliflour base too! That is next on my list to try!