I asked a foodie group on FB to suggest a dessert that would travel easily as we were going to my brother in Tel Aviv via the train.
One of the suggestions was Nigella Lawson brownies.
I googled and found this recipe.
Now, I have to admit, I have never made regular* ‘from scratch’ brownies. I’ve always used a box mix. Never again! I am never ever buying box mix brownies again. These were so easy and so amazingly yummy! Will definitely be making them again and again. And again!
- 250g softened margerine (I used marge since I wanted my dessert to be dairy free)
- 300g dark, milk free chocolate
- 6 large eggs
- splash of vanilla extract
- 500g caster sugar (I used brown sugar that I whizzed in the blender to make it fine like caster sugar)
- 225g flour
- pinch of salt
- 300g chopped walnuts
- In a large pan, over a low heat or in a double boiler, melt the margarine and chocolate (break the chocolate into squares so it melts evenly).
- While that is melting mix your eggs, sugar and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Check on your butter and chocolate and give it a stir to make sure that it is melting properly.
- Measure out your flour and add the pinch of salt.
- Once your marge and chocolate are melted remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- While it is cooling, throw the walnuts into the blender and whiz until they are mostly chopped finely, leaving a few larger chunks if you like.
- Now, add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture while beating with a hand held beater or in your mixer, the reason you are beating while pouring is so that the eggs don’t scramble in the hot chocolate.
- Once that is mixed together well, add the flour a bit at a time until it is completely mixed in.
- Lastly mix or fold in the walnuts.
- In a deep pan lined with baking paper, pour in your mixture.
- There will be mixture that doesn’t fit in the pan (regardless of how big the pan is, there WILL be left over mixture), make sure your kids are not around and using a spoon or spatula, scoop all that left over mixture into your mouth, thank me later!
- Bake the brownies at 180°C for about 25 minutes. The top of the brownies will look pale and slightly bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for an hour or so.
- Slice the brownies straight in the pan, you should get about 32 pieces.
- Serve with whipped dairy free cream and enjoy.
- Oh! These are even better the next day, if any of them survive that long!
*I have made ‘from scratch’ Pesach brownies but thats not really the same…